- Hummus and red peppers - contains garlic and Vitamin C
- Fruit such as strawberries, oranges, pineapple and kiwi have the highest amount of Vitamin C
- Plain yogurt - it's best to buy yogurt without the added fruit, as this often contains lots of sugar which can feed any bacteria. Yogurt contains probiotics which helps to fight germs.
- Almond, walnuts and nut butters - Omega 3 fatty acids have been shown to fight respiratory infections.
- Mushrooms barley soup - mushrooms have immune building properties and barley contains zinc, a mineral that helps to fight infections
- Pumpkins seeds - also high in zinc
- Kale or sweet potato chips - contains Vitamin C
- Oatmeal cookies - use honey instead of sugar
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Immune boosting snacks
Now that we are in the heart of winter, it's so important that we eat nutrient rich foods to help our immune systems stay strong and keep us all healthy. Here are some immune boosting snack ideas that are great, not only to pack in kids lunches, but for adults to take to work as well.